Friday, February 23, 2007

Podcast #70 - Park Ranger Talk from Ford's Theatre


Hello. Today while in Washington DC I stopped by Ford's Theatre for a few minutes. I have been there several times - including just a couple of months ago during the NCSS convention - but since my last visit I have read Manhunt - The 12 Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson and wanted to go down to museum in the basement to see the compass that John Wilkes Booth had with him during the entire 12 days of the escape. It is amazing what a book can do - I had never really noticed it before but after reading Manhunt it became the most interesting item in the museum to me. I have included a picture of the compass with this podcast. By the way, I also stopped by the Library of Congress this afternoon and in the gift shop they had signed copies of Manhunt for regular price. I almost bought one but since I already own one copy I'll just hope that someday I can meet Mr. Swanson and have him autograph the copy I read. Great deal though if you are looking for a book on the assassination.



Back to the podcast - just as I stepped into the theatre the Park Ranger - Lauren Gurniewicz - was getting ready to give a short presentation to the visitors in the theatre Friday morning - mostly school groups. She did a great job and I learned several new things about the assassination that I had never heard before. I recorded the presentation and decided to podcast it. I asked Lauren's permission and she thought it was a great idea. Thanks to Lauren for letting me publish it for everyone to share.

If you have any comments or questions please post a comment to this blog post or send an e-mail to: speakingofhistory@gmail.com

You can subscribe to the Speaking of History podcast on i-Tunes here.

Direct link to Podcast #70 - Park Ranger Talk from Ford's Theatre - MP3 Format - 22:55 minutes

Show Notes For Podcast #70:

- Ford's Theatre - National Park site
- Ford's Theatre - Active Theatre site

- Manhunt - The 12 Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson

No comments:

Post a Comment